Series of Unfortunate Events (12 & 13)

The Penultimate Peril

by Lemony Snicket



Hmmmm... Well, a lot went down in this next installation to the series.  I'm still not even sure if I really liked this one or not.  It definitely wasn't a favorite.  In this second to last book we come across so many different characters from all the previous books.  I really enjoyed having everyone cross paths and seeing some of these crazy people back again.  However, I felt like this book kind of dragged on a bit.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood to read it or something... (Don't judge me.  I really can't help being a mood reader. 😉)  I usually find myself laughing out loud in every single one of his books, but this one just didn't make the cut... unfortunately. (No pun intended hehe. Okay okay. It may have been kinda sorta intended.)  Following the Baudelaire orphans, we see them start their new jobs as concierges at the Hotel Denouement.  A place where you reeeeeally have to know the Dewey Decimal System to get around it's confusing corridors.  It's Wednesday and all they have to do is hold out for the day without getting caught by evil villains or accused of murder.  Easier said than done...  For Thursday is the day when all the volunteers (the good people) are supposed to be meeting at the hotel and then the children will finally be safe and sound with people who love and care about them.  Will the children finally be able to be with the volunteers or will something prevent them from doing the right thing in the end?



The End

by Lemony Snicket


Welp.  I finally finished my re-read of this series.  And I must say, I'm underwhelmed.  I kind of remembered the ending a bit but since it's been fourteen years since reading the last book it was a little fuzzy. 😛  This last book finds the Baudelaires on a boat in the middle of nowhere with the one person they've been so desperate to get away from.  Count Olaf.  A terrible storm comes upon them and they get shipwrecked on the island where everything eventually washes up on its shores.  Will they be able to stay in safety with its villagers, or will the peace that's been on the island for years come crashing to a sudden stop with their arrival?  If it weren't for the nostalgia of this series I probably would've rated the last couple books a little lower.  This series definitely starts out great but I felt like it kind of dwindled in the end. (Also no pun intended...)    I'm happy that I made it this whole way with my re-read.  Now at least I feel somewhat accomplished... 💪

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deadly Secrets

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

A Light in the Window