October Wrap Up #1

 

October Wrap Up #1



    Legendary

   ⭐⭐⭐


I had originally listened to the audio book for this one and didn't like it.  The narrator's voice just kinda grated on me...  I had all but given up on this series and then I remembered how much I loved the first book, Caraval.  So I decided to do a re-read, but this time I picked up the physical book.  The rating went up, but not by too much.  Legendary takes us to the next event of Caraval with Tella, Scarlett's little sister, playing the game this time instead of Scarlett.  Tella has to win the game and find out the true name of Legend for a mysterious stranger before she runs out of time and loses her life.  I never really liked Tella in the first book so that didn't really help with my enjoyment of reading it.  Overall, this book was just ok for me.  I still want to pick up the final book and find out what happens, but it's not on my priority list. Which is unfortunate since the series started out so well.


The Emperor's Soul

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


The Emperor's Soul is a short story set in the world of  Elantris.  For being only 128 pages it sure does pack a punch!  This one starts with Shai trying to break out of a prison cell.  She's about to be taken to her execution in a few days so she's trying hard to use her abilities to get out.  Until... Someone comes for her.  But they aren't coming to hang her.  They need her help.  Seriously, this was such a well-rounded story and one I won't soon forget.  If you are a Brandon Sanderson fan you have to read this.  And if you aren't?  Read it anyway!!! Also, as a side note, I was expecting this to have similarities to Elantris, since it is set in the same world, but don't go into this thinking that way.  I kept waiting for the magic system or some kind of similarity to pop up and it never happened.  Yes, there are symbols, but they didn't really work the same way.  Just an FYI. 😜


The Hope of Elantris

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



I really wanted to dive back into the world of Elantris this month if you couldn't tell. 😉  So picking up the short stories Brandon Sanderson wrote was gonna have to do...  I'm over here holding out hope the second book comes out soon.  Cause that's a pre-order that's definitely going to happen!  This was a cute 26 page story.  It contains major spoilers for the first book though so if you haven't read that one yet do not read this!  The Hope of Elantris follows Matisse and the children in Elantris during a specific part of the book and what happened to them.  It didn't add anything to the over-all plot line but I enjoyed being back in the story and seeing another perspective.  If you have the chance I would recommend reading this through Arcanum Unbounded.  Sanderson gives a little side story on how the character Matisse came to be and I thought it was pretty cool.


Escape Into Certain Doom

⭐⭐⭐



Escape Into Certain Doom is the fourth book in the Scott McCully Espionage Adventure series.  In this book we follow Scott as someone he loves is on the verge of death from an unidentified poison and he races to find the antidote before it's too late.  The only problem?  Scott's arch-nemesis has it, and he is keeping it in a house full of traps.  This story was super fast paced and it was hard for me to put down.  Some of the things that happened inside the house were a bit unbelievable for me though and not something I could see happening in real life.  I think if I was younger I would have liked it a bit more, especially since it's targeted for younger readers.  Other than that I highly enjoyed this one and can't wait to wrap this series up so I can find out how everything goes down in the last book!


The Trials of Morrigan Crow

⭐⭐⭐⭐



What do I even say about this one?  I loved it.  Did it blow me away?  Eh, not necessarily.  Did it give me Harry Potter vibes.  YES!!!  I'd been dragging my feet on this one and finally just decided to pick it up.  I mean come on... Does it even matter that I'm in the middle of about 20 different series? Nahhhhhhhh.  Why not add just one more?  Everyone blames Morrigan Crow, the mayors daughter, for all the bad things that happen in their town.  They say she is cursed.  Someone breaks a hip?  Morrigan's fault.  Bad weather?  Morrigan, once again.  As the curse goes: if you are born on Eventide you are fated to die on your 11th birthday at midnight.  Morrigan, having been born on Eventide, is awaiting the day she will die.  The clock is just about to strike midnight on her 11th birthday when a stranger comes and sweeps her away to a new land.  A land where she isn't cursed and where she isn't blamed for everything that goes wrong.  I absofruitly loved all of the characters and the whole having to go through trials to become a member of the Wondrous Society was a blast to read.  Oh, and the shenanigans that happen at the flippin' cool hotel she stays at were so much fun.  I want to live there. 😍  I'm so glad I finally decided to pick this up.  I have a feeling this series is going to become a fast favorite.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

A Light in the Window

Deadly Secrets